Open MIM File
File extension MIM is most commonly associated with Multi-Purpose Internet Mail Extension (MIME) files, which are used when attachments are sent via E-Mail. MIM files are based on a standard method of message encoding, which allows E-Mails containing attachments to be interpreted and displayed properly by the majority of popular E-Mail clients.
MIM and MIME files are the same, with the only difference being the abbreviated file extension. When an E-Mail is composed with attached files, these are added to an MIM file, which is essentially a standard container used for sending attachments over the Internet. Upon receipt, the contents of the MIM file are automatically extracted by the recipient's E-Mail client to reveal the attachments. In most circumstances the MIM file is never seen by the user as the majority of E-Mail clients fully support the MIME standard.
The MIM container allows E-Mail and attachments which include 8-bit data to be sent via the Internet, such as E-Mail messages containing non-Western character sets. Additionally, MIM files are simply compressed archives, so can be opened manually if the recipient's E-Mail client does not support MIME attachments. However, the contents of a MIM file cannot be determined without it first being opened, and should be scanned with up to date anti-virus software prior to opening as they could potentially contain malware such as viruses or spyware.
In most cases, the opening of MIM files will be done automatically by an E-Mail application such as Microsoft Outlook or Mozilla Thunderbird, which will display the original message along with any attachments in their original format. However, if necessary a MIM file can be opened and the original attachments extracted using an archiving tool such as Corel WinZip or Smith Micro StuffIt or Expander, the latter of which is available on both Windows and Mac.
Open MIM File on Windows Operating System
- Find a MIM file in question in Windows OS File Explorer and double click on it to launch the correpsonding application.
- If a MIM file is not opened in an application and you instead get a "Windows can't open a file" error message you should try looking for an application which can open the file in question.
- If you know the application which can open MIM file then run it and see if there is a File->Open main menu option in the application.
- If you don't know the application which can open MIM file then try to search for "MIM wiki", "application to open MIM file" or "open MIM file" queries in the search engine you like.
- Install the application you found and check if it can open MIM file
Rate MIM file page: 4/5 based on 16 ratings
Populating this website with information and maintaining it is an ongoing process. We always welcome feedback and questions that can be submitted by visiting Contact Us page. However since there are many users visiting this website and because our team is quite small we may not be able to follow up personally on every request. Thank you for your understanding.
For more general information about how to open MIM files, file extension mim and registry you can read one of the following articles:
- Windows registry - Windows registry is included in modern Windows operating systems to replace the older INI files which also contained system configuration. Let's concentrate on the structure and purpose of Windows System Registry, review some possible attacks to it and ways to avoid them...
- Folders, files and paths - Files are the entries or information stored on your computer. These are represented by binary coding and written on the tracks on a disk. Files are often represented by distinct icons, a normal practice done by Microsoft with their products including system files for their series of operating systems...
- What are file extensions? - File extensions are unnoticed yet are very crucial parts of the computer world. But many are still unaware of the basic foundation and principles behind the remarkable wonders of computers...