Open V2 File
Files that contain the V2 file extension are generally associated with the Microsoft Live Messenger IM application. Users can use this instant messaging application to "chat" online in real time with their online contacts. With this application, users can also share videos and images with their online contacts and integrate the program with the social networks to which they belong.
V2 files can contain data files and event logs for the Live Messenger application. These are generic data files used by the Live Messenger IM application. The V2 files used by this program are typically stored in a text-based file format.
How to open the V2 file?
After double-clicking the icon of the unknown file, the system should open it in the default software that supports it. If this does not happen, download and install the Windows Live Messenger software and then manually associate the file with it. It is important to highlight that Windows Live Messenger is already disabled and replaced by Skype, being at the time an instant messaging client owned by Microsoft and designed to work on PCs with Microsoft Windows, mobile devices with Windows Phone, iOS and Android, among others. Windows Live Messenger was a part of the Windows Essentials software package, until it was discontinued.
Possible problems when working with V2 files
Generally, opening and working with a V2 file can be inconvenient because the only software that registers it is discontinued. However, if you have installed the software (with patches) and you still cannot open the file, you may have one (or more) of the following possibilities:
- Corrupted V2 file.
- Incorrect associations of the V2 file in registry entries.
- Removal of the Windows registry associated with the V2.
- Incomplete installation of Messenger Live.
- The V2 file that we open is infected with malicious software.
As mentioned above, files with a V2 extension belong to a software that is already disabled and discontinued, therefore, many inconveniences can occur when trying to open and operate a file of this nature.
Open V2 File on Windows Operating System
- Find a V2 file in question in Windows OS File Explorer and double click on it to launch the correpsonding application.
- If a V2 file is not opened in an application and you instead get a "Windows can't open a file" error message you should try looking for an application which can open the file in question.
- If you know the application which can open V2 file then run it and see if there is a File->Open main menu option in the application.
- If you don't know the application which can open V2 file then try to search for "V2 wiki", "application to open V2 file" or "open V2 file" queries in the search engine you like.
- Install the application you found and check if it can open V2 file
Rate V2 file page: 5/5 based on 4 ratings
Populating this website with information and maintaining it is an ongoing process. We always welcome feedback and questions that can be submitted by visiting Contact Us page. However since there are many users visiting this website and because our team is quite small we may not be able to follow up personally on every request. Thank you for your understanding.
For more general information about how to open V2 files, file extension v2 and registry you can read one of the following articles:
- Windows registry - Windows registry is included in modern Windows operating systems to replace the older INI files which also contained system configuration. Let's concentrate on the structure and purpose of Windows System Registry, review some possible attacks to it and ways to avoid them...
- Folders, files and paths - Files are the entries or information stored on your computer. These are represented by binary coding and written on the tracks on a disk. Files are often represented by distinct icons, a normal practice done by Microsoft with their products including system files for their series of operating systems...
- What are file extensions? - File extensions are unnoticed yet are very crucial parts of the computer world. But many are still unaware of the basic foundation and principles behind the remarkable wonders of computers...