Open SQM File
File extension SQM is most commonly associated with a Software Quality Metrics file, and is generated by a number of Microsoft Applications, most notably Windows Live Messenger. Though less common, the SQM file extension is also used to denote Operation Flashpoint saved mission file.
SQM files are most commonly log files created by Microsoft applications. These are used to store a variety of data, including application usage, performance issues and debugging information created by the unexpected termination of an application. This data can then be sent to Microsoft by the user as part of their Customer Experience Improvement Program (CEIP) which is then used to further develop applications and fix software bugs. Though SQM files are used to log application activity, no sensitive information is stored. It is also possible to opt out of the program when an application is installed or run, and in this case no data is recorded.
SQM files are most commonly found either in the root of the operating system drive, which for the majority of users is C:, or in the Application Data folder in the user's Documents and Settings folder. These follow the naming convention sqmnoopt00.sqm, with the last two digits incrementing with the creation of each new file. SQM files have the hidden file attribute, so under most circumstances will not be seen, and also contain no human-readable information so should not be opened in a text editor.
Microsoft Software Quality Metrics SQM files are a proprietary format and cannot be opened. They are designed to provide application logs to Microsoft for the purposes of providing feedback and error reporting, and are only usable by Microsoft following their submission as part of the CEIP. SQM files which relate to Operation Flashpoint can be loaded from within the game to restore a saved mission.
Open SQM File on Windows Operating System
- Find a SQM file in question in Windows OS File Explorer and double click on it to launch the correpsonding application.
- If a SQM file is not opened in an application and you instead get a "Windows can't open a file" error message you should try looking for an application which can open the file in question.
- If you know the application which can open SQM file then run it and see if there is a File->Open main menu option in the application.
- If you don't know the application which can open SQM file then try to search for "SQM wiki", "application to open SQM file" or "open SQM file" queries in the search engine you like.
- Install the application you found and check if it can open SQM file
Rate SQM file page: 4/5 based on 17 ratings
Populating this website with information and maintaining it is an ongoing process. We always welcome feedback and questions that can be submitted by visiting Contact Us page. However since there are many users visiting this website and because our team is quite small we may not be able to follow up personally on every request. Thank you for your understanding.
For more general information about how to open SQM files, file extension sqm and registry you can read one of the following articles:
- Windows registry - Windows registry is included in modern Windows operating systems to replace the older INI files which also contained system configuration. Let's concentrate on the structure and purpose of Windows System Registry, review some possible attacks to it and ways to avoid them...
- Folders, files and paths - Files are the entries or information stored on your computer. These are represented by binary coding and written on the tracks on a disk. Files are often represented by distinct icons, a normal practice done by Microsoft with their products including system files for their series of operating systems...
- What are file extensions? - File extensions are unnoticed yet are very crucial parts of the computer world. But many are still unaware of the basic foundation and principles behind the remarkable wonders of computers...