Open WKS File
File extension WKS is most commonly associated with a Microsoft Works Spreadsheet, though was also used early on by IBM's Lotus 1-2-3. In both cases the data stored is a spreadsheet.
Spreadsheets, otherwise known as worksheets, are composed of rows and columns which are typically used to store and manipulate numerical data. Where a row and a column intersect is a cell, which is typically referenced by a letter representing the column and a number representing the row, such as C4. This standard method of cell referencing makes it easy to navigate around a spreadsheet regardless of its complexity. In addition to entering figures, formulas can also be inserted which make use of values contained within cells. This means that if a value were to be changed, this would be reflected in any formula which uses this value, making spreadsheets ideal for modelling and forecasting.
Spreadsheets can also be used to present data, and both Microsoft Works and Lotus 1-2-3 support a variety of graphs and charts which can also change dynamically to reflect changes to values in the spreadsheet. Standard text formatting tools are also available to improve the readability of data, particularly in large, complex spreadsheets.
Spreadsheets are used in many industries, particularly those working extensively with numerical data such as accountants or scientific research departments. However, given their power and flexibility, spreadsheets are now more widely used by everyone from businesses to model sales forecasts or cash flow, to home users to manage their personal finances.
Though far less common, the WKS file extension may also refer to an XLISP WorKSpace, a development environment for the XLISP programming language which is a derivative of the more widespread LISP language albeit with additional object-orientated features.
Microsoft Works Spreadsheet files can be opened by both Microsoft Works and Microsoft Excel, though native Excel File extension XLS and, since the release of Office 2007, the File extension XLSX format, are more common. Lotus WKS files can be opened by Lotus 1-2-3, as well as Microsoft Excel, OpenOffice Calc and Star Office Calc.
Open WKS File on Windows Operating System
- Find a WKS file in question in Windows OS File Explorer and double click on it to launch the correpsonding application.
- If a WKS file is not opened in an application and you instead get a "Windows can't open a file" error message you should try looking for an application which can open the file in question.
- If you know the application which can open WKS file then run it and see if there is a File->Open main menu option in the application.
- If you don't know the application which can open WKS file then try to search for "WKS wiki", "application to open WKS file" or "open WKS file" queries in the search engine you like.
- Install the application you found and check if it can open WKS file
Rate WKS file page: 4/5 based on 18 ratings
Populating this website with information and maintaining it is an ongoing process. We always welcome feedback and questions that can be submitted by visiting Contact Us page. However since there are many users visiting this website and because our team is quite small we may not be able to follow up personally on every request. Thank you for your understanding.
For more general information about how to open WKS files, file extension wks and registry you can read one of the following articles:
- Windows registry - Windows registry is included in modern Windows operating systems to replace the older INI files which also contained system configuration. Let's concentrate on the structure and purpose of Windows System Registry, review some possible attacks to it and ways to avoid them...
- Folders, files and paths - Files are the entries or information stored on your computer. These are represented by binary coding and written on the tracks on a disk. Files are often represented by distinct icons, a normal practice done by Microsoft with their products including system files for their series of operating systems...
- What are file extensions? - File extensions are unnoticed yet are very crucial parts of the computer world. But many are still unaware of the basic foundation and principles behind the remarkable wonders of computers...