Open VCF File
File extension VCF is commonly associated to electronic business cards usually sent through emails. Also referred to as vCards or VersitCard, the form contains personal information (e.g. first name, photo, birth date, email, logo, title, and role) of a sender. Files written with this extension can be used on multi-platform such as Mac, Linux, and Windows.
The idea of vCard was coined in 1995 by Versit consortium. The consortium is composed of big names in the industry including Apple Computers, IBM, Siemens, and AT&T Technologies. vCard was later acquired by Internet Mail Consortium in 1996 and was developed to meet the standards of advance computing.
Information that needs not to be included in an email can be added as attachments by using VCF format. Sending electronic business cards is not only possible through the Internet. It can also be used through Bluetooth. By using vCard, storing, importing, and exporting of business cards are made easy and reliable.
As an entity full of information, VCF files are favorite resources for worms and viruses that spread through email. These maliciously coded programs seek VCF files along with other file types to harvest information on their next victim. Some well known worms and viruses that used files with this extension to exploit information include variants of the Sober virus which was first seen in October of 2003.
Though the first forms of the email worm, Sober, did not specifically target VCF files, succeeding forms of the worm did contain scripts to locate for files containing information that can possibly be used to spread the worm including VCF files. Hundreds of other worms and viruses perform similar task on Windows systems.
Files with this extension can be used on most email and address book managing applications. This includes applications Apple Address Book, Microsoft Entourage, Eudora Mail, Microsoft Outlook, Outlook Express, and several other email clients.
Open VCF File on Windows Operating System
- Find a VCF file in question in Windows OS File Explorer and double click on it to launch the correpsonding application.
- If a VCF file is not opened in an application and you instead get a "Windows can't open a file" error message you should try looking for an application which can open the file in question.
- If you know the application which can open VCF file then run it and see if there is a File->Open main menu option in the application.
- If you don't know the application which can open VCF file then try to search for "VCF wiki", "application to open VCF file" or "open VCF file" queries in the search engine you like.
- Install the application you found and check if it can open VCF file
Rate VCF file page: 4/5 based on 6 ratings
Populating this website with information and maintaining it is an ongoing process. We always welcome feedback and questions that can be submitted by visiting Contact Us page. However since there are many users visiting this website and because our team is quite small we may not be able to follow up personally on every request. Thank you for your understanding.
For more general information about how to open VCF files, file extension vcf and registry you can read one of the following articles:
- Windows registry - Windows registry is included in modern Windows operating systems to replace the older INI files which also contained system configuration. Let's concentrate on the structure and purpose of Windows System Registry, review some possible attacks to it and ways to avoid them...
- Folders, files and paths - Files are the entries or information stored on your computer. These are represented by binary coding and written on the tracks on a disk. Files are often represented by distinct icons, a normal practice done by Microsoft with their products including system files for their series of operating systems...
- What are file extensions? - File extensions are unnoticed yet are very crucial parts of the computer world. But many are still unaware of the basic foundation and principles behind the remarkable wonders of computers...