Open NT File
File Extension NT is normally used by some Microsoft system files running under Windows NT based operating systems. Two common files that can be found on NT based systems are CONFIG.NT and AUTOEXEC.NT. In spite of being essential system files, both files do not have the hidden property as compared to their counterpart CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT.
On most Windows based systems, CONFIG.NT and AUTOEXEC.NT can be found in the C:WINDOWSsystem32 or C:WinntSystem32 directories. For a Windows NT machines, these files are loaded during startup to call other functions and scripts necessary to fully load the machine.
Like any other Microsoft system files, editing and deleting .NT files is strongly discouraged. These are essential components of a Windows based system and are needed to allow the operating system to function normally. Altering sensitive data within the file may cause unwanted behavior of a system that can result to corrupted files or total unavailability of the operating system.
No known threats are done by .NT files present on a system. However, there are instances that require the modification of the CONFIG.NT file in order to resolve issues involving the use of MS-DOS based applications. This includes running a 16-bit Windows-based application. The NT Virtual DOS machine (NTVDM) section of the system may not be able to properly contain and run 16-bit applications once the NT files are corrupted or missing.
Corrupt or deleted CONFIG.NT file will result to an error with the process. This can be a result of an upgrade with the operating system or an infection brought by some malware. Repairing the system by substituting corrupted files is recommended as the best alternative to address such issue.
Files with this extension can be opened by document authoring applications either developed by Microsoft such as Word or those that are in conformity to the Open Standards such as Writer from OpenOffice.org. There are also other binary applications including Notepad and WordPad that can be used to open NT files. Basically an NT file may contain series of alphanumeric characters readable by humans.
Open NT File on Windows Operating System
- Find a NT file in question in Windows OS File Explorer and double click on it to launch the correpsonding application.
- If a NT file is not opened in an application and you instead get a "Windows can't open a file" error message you should try looking for an application which can open the file in question.
- If you know the application which can open NT file then run it and see if there is a File->Open main menu option in the application.
- If you don't know the application which can open NT file then try to search for "NT wiki", "application to open NT file" or "open NT file" queries in the search engine you like.
- Install the application you found and check if it can open NT file
Rate NT file page: 5/5 based on 12 ratings
Populating this website with information and maintaining it is an ongoing process. We always welcome feedback and questions that can be submitted by visiting Contact Us page. However since there are many users visiting this website and because our team is quite small we may not be able to follow up personally on every request. Thank you for your understanding.
For more general information about how to open NT files, file extension nt and registry you can read one of the following articles:
- Windows registry - Windows registry is included in modern Windows operating systems to replace the older INI files which also contained system configuration. Let's concentrate on the structure and purpose of Windows System Registry, review some possible attacks to it and ways to avoid them...
- Folders, files and paths - Files are the entries or information stored on your computer. These are represented by binary coding and written on the tracks on a disk. Files are often represented by distinct icons, a normal practice done by Microsoft with their products including system files for their series of operating systems...
- What are file extensions? - File extensions are unnoticed yet are very crucial parts of the computer world. But many are still unaware of the basic foundation and principles behind the remarkable wonders of computers...