Open SWF File
SWF file extension is most commonly used by Shockwave Flash movies. SWF files are used to display vector graphic animations, and are widely used for the delivery of multimedia and interactive content on the web. Though not as widespread, SWF files can also refer to a Microsoft Sidewinder profile, which is used to store joystick settings for individual games.
The original specification of the SWF file was written by FutureWave Software, whose purpose was to create a format capable of displaying animations albeit with small file sizes. This would enable widespread use of the format by also allowing those with slower Internet connections access to the same content. FutureWave Software was later acquired by Macromedia, who were themselves acquired by Adobe in 2005.
SWF originally contained only vector graphics and images displayed in discrete frames, which allowed simple animations to be played. However, extensions to the format have allowed audio and video to be embedded within SWF files, as well as multiple forms of user interaction. This added flexibility means that SWF files are used for a wide range of purposes including multimedia content delivery, web-based applications, online games and DVD menus. SWF files are similar to File extension FLA files in that all embedded content is included or linked to. However, compression is used to minimize file sizes, and whilst some software claims to be able to extract embedded media, there is no official support for the altering of SWF files as they are designed to be the final, finished product.
You can open SWF files using the standalone Adobe Flash Player software, as well as using any web browser with the Flash plug-in. The Flash plug-in is cross-platform compatible, with versions available for Windows, Mac and x86-based Linux distributions. The SWF format is partially open, though licensing remains strict, so few third party players like Gnash exist.
Open SWF File on Windows Operating System
- Find a SWF file in question in Windows OS File Explorer and double click on it to launch the correpsonding application.
- If a SWF file is not opened in an application and you instead get a "Windows can't open a file" error message you should try looking for an application which can open the file in question.
- If you know the application which can open SWF file then run it and see if there is a File->Open main menu option in the application.
- If you don't know the application which can open SWF file then try to search for "SWF wiki", "application to open SWF file" or "open SWF file" queries in the search engine you like.
- Install the application you found and check if it can open SWF file
Rate SWF file page: 4/5 based on 24 ratings
Populating this website with information and maintaining it is an ongoing process. We always welcome feedback and questions that can be submitted by visiting Contact Us page. However since there are many users visiting this website and because our team is quite small we may not be able to follow up personally on every request. Thank you for your understanding.
For more general information about how to open SWF files, file extension swf and registry you can read one of the following articles:
- Windows registry - Windows registry is included in modern Windows operating systems to replace the older INI files which also contained system configuration. Let's concentrate on the structure and purpose of Windows System Registry, review some possible attacks to it and ways to avoid them...
- Folders, files and paths - Files are the entries or information stored on your computer. These are represented by binary coding and written on the tracks on a disk. Files are often represented by distinct icons, a normal practice done by Microsoft with their products including system files for their series of operating systems...
- What are file extensions? - File extensions are unnoticed yet are very crucial parts of the computer world. But many are still unaware of the basic foundation and principles behind the remarkable wonders of computers...