Open PDB File
File extension PDB is most commonly associated with Palm Desktop Database files. PDB files are a standard format used by a number of different applications that run on Palm PDA's. The PDB file extension may also refer to a program database file, which may either contain user-defined or application-specific data. Though less common, PDB files may refer to Protein Data Bank files, which store 3D coordinates of atoms within chemical compounds.
Several Palm-based applications use PDB files, and may contain data such as word processed documents, spreadsheets, databases or images. If the original application used to create a Palm PDB file is unknown, it can opened in a text editor and the original application used to create it can be found in plaintext in the header. Program database PDB files are used by a number of applications including Microsoft Visual Studio .NET, which uses PDB files store debugging information whenever a program is compiled. The Protein Data Bank file format which also uses the PDB extension is the standard format used by the non-profit consortium Research Collaboratory for Structural Biometrics (RCSB) to store and share representations of 3D biological macromolecules for research purposes.
Palm Desktop Database Files can be opened by the appropriate application on a Palm-based PDA, as well as using Windows-based applications such as PRODEC Desktop PDB viewer or PDB Explorer, or ABC Amber Palm Converter which can be used to convert PDB files to more conventional formats such as PDF. Some PDB files may also be readable using a standard text editor. Program Database files are generated by a number of applications, most notably by Pegasus, Quicken and Microsoft Visual Studio .NET, though can only be opened successfully in the application it was produced. Protein Data Bank files can be opened in QuickPDB, RasMol, KiNG or any web browser with an appropriate plug-in such as Jmol or KiNG viewer.
Open PDB File on Windows Operating System
- Find a PDB file in question in Windows OS File Explorer and double click on it to launch the correpsonding application.
- If a PDB file is not opened in an application and you instead get a "Windows can't open a file" error message you should try looking for an application which can open the file in question.
- If you know the application which can open PDB file then run it and see if there is a File->Open main menu option in the application.
- If you don't know the application which can open PDB file then try to search for "PDB wiki", "application to open PDB file" or "open PDB file" queries in the search engine you like.
- Install the application you found and check if it can open PDB file
Rate PDB file page: 4/5 based on 15 ratings
Populating this website with information and maintaining it is an ongoing process. We always welcome feedback and questions that can be submitted by visiting Contact Us page. However since there are many users visiting this website and because our team is quite small we may not be able to follow up personally on every request. Thank you for your understanding.
For more general information about how to open PDB files, file extension pdb and registry you can read one of the following articles:
- Windows registry - Windows registry is included in modern Windows operating systems to replace the older INI files which also contained system configuration. Let's concentrate on the structure and purpose of Windows System Registry, review some possible attacks to it and ways to avoid them...
- Folders, files and paths - Files are the entries or information stored on your computer. These are represented by binary coding and written on the tracks on a disk. Files are often represented by distinct icons, a normal practice done by Microsoft with their products including system files for their series of operating systems...
- What are file extensions? - File extensions are unnoticed yet are very crucial parts of the computer world. But many are still unaware of the basic foundation and principles behind the remarkable wonders of computers...