Open EML File
File extension EML is most commonly associated with an Outlook Express Electronic Mail (E-Mail) file. EML files are plaintext files used for storing an E-Mail message, and whilst they are used primarily by Microsoft Outlook Express, most other E-Mail clients can import and read them.
EML files contain the contents of an E-Mail message. This consists of a short header, which includes the E-Mail address of the sender and the recipient, as well as the subject and the time and date that the message was sent, and the main body of the E-Mail. As EML files are plaintext and have a standard file structure, almost all E-Mail clients are able to import them, and so the format is used to transfer E-Mails between different applications. EML files may also be E-Mail template files, which are essentially standard EML files albeit with information already filled in, such as the recipients, or text already added to the message body, such as a signature. This is particularly useful for E-Mails which are repeatedly sent to the same group of people or if a signature is required at the end of every E-Mail as this information is automatically added whenever a message using the EML template is composed.
EML files may also contain hyperlinks or linked attachments, so although they pose no risk themselves, they can link to malware such as viruses or spyware, so care should be exercised when opening EML files, particularly from unknown senders.
EML files can be opened using Microsoft Outlook Express, as well as most other E-Mail clients such as Microsoft Outlook, Mozilla Thunderbird and IncrediMail. EML files are plaintext, so can also be opened and relatively easily read using any text editor. EML files are structured in the same format as File extension MHT (MIME HTML), meaning that they can also be opened in web browsers such as Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox and Opera.
Open EML File on Windows Operating System
- Find a EML file in question in Windows OS File Explorer and double click on it to launch the correpsonding application.
- If a EML file is not opened in an application and you instead get a "Windows can't open a file" error message you should try looking for an application which can open the file in question.
- If you know the application which can open EML file then run it and see if there is a File->Open main menu option in the application.
- If you don't know the application which can open EML file then try to search for "EML wiki", "application to open EML file" or "open EML file" queries in the search engine you like.
- Install the application you found and check if it can open EML file
Rate EML file page: 4/5 based on 16 ratings
Populating this website with information and maintaining it is an ongoing process. We always welcome feedback and questions that can be submitted by visiting Contact Us page. However since there are many users visiting this website and because our team is quite small we may not be able to follow up personally on every request. Thank you for your understanding.
For more general information about how to open EML files, file extension eml and registry you can read one of the following articles:
- Windows registry - Windows registry is included in modern Windows operating systems to replace the older INI files which also contained system configuration. Let's concentrate on the structure and purpose of Windows System Registry, review some possible attacks to it and ways to avoid them...
- Folders, files and paths - Files are the entries or information stored on your computer. These are represented by binary coding and written on the tracks on a disk. Files are often represented by distinct icons, a normal practice done by Microsoft with their products including system files for their series of operating systems...
- What are file extensions? - File extensions are unnoticed yet are very crucial parts of the computer world. But many are still unaware of the basic foundation and principles behind the remarkable wonders of computers...