Open TGZ File
File extension TGZ refers to a compressed archive file, and is most commonly used on UNIX based operating systems. The TGZ extension is a shortened version of File extension TAR.File extension GZ, and was originally used to overcome the three-letter, single file extension limit found on old MS-DOS operating systems.
TAR, which is derived from the term tape archive, is an archive format used on UNIX-based operating systems. Originally, TAR files, sometimes referred to as tarballs, were designed to be used with sequential backup systems such as tape, though are now widely used to archive files for backup on any media, or for distribution purposes. However, TAR files contain no compression, and so are usually used in conjunction with a compression algorithm such as GNU Zip, more commonly known as GZIP. Archiving a folder and then compressing it will therefore create a TAR.GZ file, which can be shortened to TGZ. These are in essence the equivalent to file formats such as ZIP on the Windows platform.
TGZ files are compressed archives, and as such can contain files of any type. The contents of a TGZ file can be seen using a compatible archive application or by running tar -ztvf on the archive file from a UNIX/Linux shell prompt. Though TGZ files are not self extracting executables, caution should be observed when opening compressed archives from unknown sources as they could contain malicious files such as viruses or spyware.
TGZ files can be opened using popular archiving utilities such as WinZip, WinRAR or Stuffit, the latter of which is available on both the Windows and Mac platform. Alternatively, TGZ files can be opened in UNIX or Linux based operating systems by first uncompressing the archive using gunzip, then extracting the contents of the archive using tar -xf which will restore the archives original file and folder structure.
Open TGZ File on Windows Operating System
- Find a TGZ file in question in Windows OS File Explorer and double click on it to launch the correpsonding application.
- If a TGZ file is not opened in an application and you instead get a "Windows can't open a file" error message you should try looking for an application which can open the file in question.
- If you know the application which can open TGZ file then run it and see if there is a File->Open main menu option in the application.
- If you don't know the application which can open TGZ file then try to search for "TGZ wiki", "application to open TGZ file" or "open TGZ file" queries in the search engine you like.
- Install the application you found and check if it can open TGZ file
Rate TGZ file page: 5/5 based on 14 ratings
Populating this website with information and maintaining it is an ongoing process. We always welcome feedback and questions that can be submitted by visiting Contact Us page. However since there are many users visiting this website and because our team is quite small we may not be able to follow up personally on every request. Thank you for your understanding.
For more general information about how to open TGZ files, file extension tgz and registry you can read one of the following articles:
- Windows registry - Windows registry is included in modern Windows operating systems to replace the older INI files which also contained system configuration. Let's concentrate on the structure and purpose of Windows System Registry, review some possible attacks to it and ways to avoid them...
- Folders, files and paths - Files are the entries or information stored on your computer. These are represented by binary coding and written on the tracks on a disk. Files are often represented by distinct icons, a normal practice done by Microsoft with their products including system files for their series of operating systems...
- What are file extensions? - File extensions are unnoticed yet are very crucial parts of the computer world. But many are still unaware of the basic foundation and principles behind the remarkable wonders of computers...