Open PRN File
PRN file extension is used to provide information to the printer about file to be printed or simply called Windows Printer File. This file extension can be created once "print to file" option is selected while printing. It allows printing of the same file from other computers aside from the original source. These files can be open and printed on both Mac and Windows operating systems.
Files with this extension can be printed without installing the application used in creating the file to be printed. It is not necessary to view the file to be printed since the software application supporting it is not installed. PRN files can be viewed on some text editors, but may include characters unrecognized by the user. These characters are used by the printer to indicate some settings of the file.
Printer files can either be printer through USB connection or parallel connection. For printing PRN files from Windows command line, similar command should be typed. "COPY /B [filename.prn] \\[Computer Name]\[Shared Printer Name]", this allows the PRN file to be printed through USB connection. While "COPY /B [filename.prn] LPT1:" is for parallel connection.
Applications that can open PRN files include AllWeb FastPrint, Free Raw Print, the Windows command line, and other printer software capable of viewing PRN files for both Mac and Windows.
Open PRN File on Windows Operating System
- Find a PRN file in question in Windows OS File Explorer and double click on it to launch the correpsonding application.
- If a PRN file is not opened in an application and you instead get a "Windows can't open a file" error message you should try looking for an application which can open the file in question.
- If you know the application which can open PRN file then run it and see if there is a File->Open main menu option in the application.
- If you don't know the application which can open PRN file then try to search for "PRN wiki", "application to open PRN file" or "open PRN file" queries in the search engine you like.
- Install the application you found and check if it can open PRN file
Rate PRN file page: 4/5 based on 12 ratings
Populating this website with information and maintaining it is an ongoing process. We always welcome feedback and questions that can be submitted by visiting Contact Us page. However since there are many users visiting this website and because our team is quite small we may not be able to follow up personally on every request. Thank you for your understanding.
For more general information about how to open PRN files, file extension prn and registry you can read one of the following articles:
- Windows registry - Windows registry is included in modern Windows operating systems to replace the older INI files which also contained system configuration. Let's concentrate on the structure and purpose of Windows System Registry, review some possible attacks to it and ways to avoid them...
- Folders, files and paths - Files are the entries or information stored on your computer. These are represented by binary coding and written on the tracks on a disk. Files are often represented by distinct icons, a normal practice done by Microsoft with their products including system files for their series of operating systems...
- What are file extensions? - File extensions are unnoticed yet are very crucial parts of the computer world. But many are still unaware of the basic foundation and principles behind the remarkable wonders of computers...