File extension PNG is a file format used to store images. Images in PNG format are stored without quality loss. PNG is the most popular way to store lossless files on the internet. It was specifically designed to enable image transfer on the internet.
To open PNG files you can use any internet browser or graphics editor. Both Window OS and OS X have embedded mechanisms to view PNG files.
PNG files supports grayscale images, palette-based images and full-color non-pallete-based RGB/RGBA images. It also supports transparent images both by a single pixel value and as an alpha channel. PNG compression is typically better than GIF files except for smaller images. JPG can often provide better compression than PNG but significant artifacts could be introduced in images with text or around high contrast areas.
PNG files use image/png MIME media type.
Every PNG file starts with 8 bytes:
89 50 4E 47 0D 0A 1A 0A. Bytes from 2 to 4 code "PNG" in ASCII format.
Typical PNG application file locations:
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Opera\Opera.exe "%1"
- C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\PaintDotNet.exe "%1"
- %SystemRoot%\System32\rundll32.exe "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Photo Gallery\PhotoViewer.dll"
- C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Photo Viewer\PhotoViewer.dll", ImageView_Fullscreen %1
- C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\PictureViewer.exe "%1"
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Photo Gallery\WLXPhotoGallery.exe /LaunchPhotoViewer /v "%1"
Typical PNG mime types:
- ImageView_Fullscreen %1
Frequently used application names to open PNG files:
Frequently associated Windows objects:
If you downloaded a PNG file on Android device you can open it by following steps below:
To open PNG File on iOS device follow steps below:
Populating this website with information and maintaining it is an ongoing process. We always welcome feedback and questions that can be submitted by visiting Contact Us page. However since there are many users visiting this website and because our team is quite small we may not be able to follow up personally on every request. Thank you for your understanding.