Open PNG File
File extension PNG is a file format used to store images. Images in PNG format are stored without quality loss. PNG is the most popular way to store lossless files on the internet. It was specifically designed to enable image transfer on the internet.
To open PNG files you can use any internet browser or graphics editor. Both Window OS and OS X have embedded mechanisms to view PNG files.
PNG files supports grayscale images, palette-based images and full-color non-pallete-based RGB/RGBA images. It also supports transparent images both by a single pixel value and as an alpha channel. PNG compression is typically better than GIF files except for smaller images. JPG can often provide better compression than PNG but significant artifacts could be introduced in images with text or around high contrast areas.
PNG files use image/png MIME media type.
Every PNG file starts with 8 bytes:
89 50 4E 47 0D 0A 1A 0A. Bytes from 2 to 4 code "PNG" in ASCII format.
Open PNG File on Windows Operating System
- Find a PNG file in question in Windows OS File Explorer and double click on it to launch the correpsonding application.
- If a PNG file is not opened in an application and you instead get a "Windows can't open a file" error message you should try looking for an application which can open the file in question.
- If you know the application which can open PNG file then run it and see if there is a File->Open main menu option in the application.
- If you don't know the application which can open PNG file then try to search for "PNG wiki", "application to open PNG file" or "open PNG file" queries in the search engine you like.
- Install the application you found and check if it can open PNG file
Rate PNG file page: 5/5 based on 27 ratings
Populating this website with information and maintaining it is an ongoing process. We always welcome feedback and questions that can be submitted by visiting Contact Us page. However since there are many users visiting this website and because our team is quite small we may not be able to follow up personally on every request. Thank you for your understanding.
For more general information about how to open PNG files, file extension png and registry you can read one of the following articles:
- Windows registry - Windows registry is included in modern Windows operating systems to replace the older INI files which also contained system configuration. Let's concentrate on the structure and purpose of Windows System Registry, review some possible attacks to it and ways to avoid them...
- Folders, files and paths - Files are the entries or information stored on your computer. These are represented by binary coding and written on the tracks on a disk. Files are often represented by distinct icons, a normal practice done by Microsoft with their products including system files for their series of operating systems...
- What are file extensions? - File extensions are unnoticed yet are very crucial parts of the computer world. But many are still unaware of the basic foundation and principles behind the remarkable wonders of computers...