The term JPEG is actually a reference to three different things:
JPEG is the image file format most commonly used by digital cameras and other image capture devices, as it supports 16 million colors, which are produced using 8 bits of each in the RGB color model.
Supports a maximum size of 65,535 x 65,535 pixels.
And last but not least, it reduces the size of an image by 50-75% (due to lossy compression) when saved.
However, for applications that require defined contours (vectorized) it is not ideal, since the colors are mixed by zooming in on the image.
It is necessary to make a differentiation when it comes to JPEG vs JPG, and the truth is that there is no difference between the two except the extension and the number of characters that make it up.
There are countless applications that can open a JPEG file from various perspectives, either for viewing or editing.
The list below is extremely brief, since putting here all the applications enabled to open a JPEG file would make this article much longer:
Typical JPEG application file locations:
- %SystemRoot%\System32\rundll32.exe "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Photo Gallery\PhotoViewer.dll"
- C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Photo Viewer\PhotoViewer.dll", ImageView_Fullscreen %1
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Opera\Opera.exe "%1"
- C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\PaintDotNet.exe "%1"
- C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\PictureViewer.exe "%1"
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Photo Gallery\WLXPhotoGallery.exe /LaunchPhotoViewer /v "%1"
Typical JPEG mime types:
- ImageView_Fullscreen %1
Frequently used application names to open JPEG files:
Frequently associated Windows objects:
If you downloaded a JPEG file on Android device you can open it by following steps below:
To open JPEG File on iOS device follow steps below:
Populating this website with information and maintaining it is an ongoing process. We always welcome feedback and questions that can be submitted by visiting Contact Us page. However since there are many users visiting this website and because our team is quite small we may not be able to follow up personally on every request. Thank you for your understanding.