HL7 (Health Level-7) is a standard used in healthcare settings for exchanging electronic health information. With the increasing need for interoperability and the sharing of healthcare information, HL7 files play an important role in facilitating this exchange. This article will delve into the various formats and ways to open and use files with HL7 file extensions.
There are primarily two formats of HL7 files - HL7 v2.x (pipe-separated) and HL7 v3.x (XML-based). HL7 v2.x files are most widely used and consist of a sequence of pipe-separated fields. In contrast, HL7 v3.x files use an XML-based structure and are more machine-readable, making them less error-prone than v2.x.
Now that we have looked at the file formats, let's explore various tools and libraries that you can use to open and manipulate HL7 files:
1. HL7 Soup - It is an HL7 viewer and editor for Windows that allows you to edit, send, and receive HL7 data. It's a versatile tool for working with HL7 files and supports both v2.x and v3.x files.
2. Iguana by iNTERFACEWARE - Iguana is a powerful integration engine that can open, parse, and transmit HL7 files. It comes with a built-in HL7 editor called Chameleon that simplifies working with HL7 v2.x and v3.x files.
1. nHapi (C#): nHapi is an open-source .NET library for parsing, creating, and validating HL7 v2.x messages. It makes it easy to work with HL7 files programmatically.
2. Python-HL7 (Python): Python-HL7 is a simple and lightweight library for parsing HL7 v2.x messages. It supports reading, writing, and accessing the data elements in HL7 files.
3. FhirClient (C#) - It is a FHIR client library that simplifies the process of exchanging healthcare data using HL7 FHIR (Fast Healthcare Interoperability Resources) files, a RESTful API specification for healthcare data interchange.
When working with HL7 files, it is crucial to adhere to the HL7 standards to ensure interoperability and proper data exchange. You should also be mindful of the healthcare data privacy and security regulations such as HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) and GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) to protect sensitive healthcare information.
In summary, HL7 files are essential for exchanging healthcare data among different systems. Utilizing the right tools and libraries to open and use these files makes it easier to adhere to HL7 standards, ensuring smooth communication and interoperability in the healthcare industry.
If you downloaded a HL7 file on Android device you can open it by following steps below:
To open HL7 File on iOS device follow steps below:
Populating this website with information and maintaining it is an ongoing process. We always welcome feedback and questions that can be submitted by visiting Contact Us page. However since there are many users visiting this website and because our team is quite small we may not be able to follow up personally on every request. Thank you for your understanding.